Windows Vista is one of Microsoft's most unsuccessful systems, which was released in a hurry to maintain the company's market position. If for some reason you need to
look at perversions install this operating system, then below I give detailed instructions.
As always, we start by burning discs, unless of course you already have a distribution disc, then you don’t need to burn anything. The installation is not original, therefore, we select the boot from the CD in the BIOS and rushed -
We select regional parameters (for Russians they are Russian,))
Because we install the system, and do not restore, then select "Install",
We enter the key, which can be found on the cover of your CD or on the computer case. In an extreme case, Google knows everything,) If something, the key entered in the picture is suitable for installation (only for installation, to register your copy of Windows you need a different key)
We select the type of system to be installed, in our case Windows Vista Ultimate, the selection window is not always there, it all depends on where you got the distribution kit.
Getting to know the license agreement
teach him by heart Scroll it to the end and put a daw - "I accept the terms of the license", click Next. Until you check the box, you will not be able to continue the installation.
We have nothing to update, so select "Full installation"
We select the section where we will install, I have it alone, so there’s no need to suffer for a long time. If the partition is large, more than 160 GB, I recommend splitting it into two, the first for a 60-80 gigabyte system, the second for your data. In the event of a failure, it will be much easier to save your data. Click "Disk Settings".
Select the size of the disk partition and click apply, if you want to create several partitions, then this procedure must be repeated for each.
Sections have been created, select which system we will install on and click "Next"
It just so happened that Windows Vista has gained a negative reputation. Many owners of laptops preinstalled with Windows Vista first removed it and installed Windows XP. I will not hide it, I also did this in my time.
There were good reasons for such actions. Windows Vista without Service Packs worked rather slowly and with frequent errors. The situation was aggravated by the fact that manufacturers often preinstalled on laptops many necessary and not very programs that also slowed down the system. Using such a system was difficult.
With the release of Service Pack 1, the situation has changed. Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 is much more stable and faster. Service Pack 2 essentially fixed minor bugs. As a result, Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 is about the same speed as Windows XP and Windows 7. System stability is also up to par.
How to return to licensed Windows Vista, if the recovery discs have long been lost, the hidden partitions on the hard drive are erased? In fact, everything is quite simple. You need to get a clean distribution kit with Windows Vista and install it on a laptop. How to do all this and get licensed Windows Vista as a result is described in this article.
Proceed to installation
Before installing Windows Vista on a laptop, it’s worth copying all the important data from the partition on which you intend to install the system to another partition, or even better, to a USB flash drive or to another computer. During installation, this section will be formatted.
Also, before installing Windows Vista, it is recommended to download and save the appropriate drivers for this system. The fact is that the Windows Vista distribution may initially not contain drivers for your network card, Wi-Fi adapter or modem. As a result of this, after installing Windows, you will not be able to browse the Internet and download the necessary driver. Unpleasant situation. More details on which drivers are needed and where to download them are shown in the fourth part of this manual.
The installation of Windows Vista can be divided into the following operations:
- Burn an image from Windows Vista to disk,
- Installing a boot from a DVD in the BIOS of a laptop,
- Direct installation of Windows Vista
- Search and install drivers.
An important note: if your laptop does not have a DVD drive, then you should use the Windows Vista installation from a USB flash drive or from a memory card.
And so, let's get started.
1. Burn an image from Windows Vista to disk
If you already have a Windows Vista distribution disc (not to be confused with a system recovery disk), then you can safely skip this section.
Important note: if you do not know which version of Windows Vista to install on your laptop (32-bit or 64-bit), then I recommend that you familiarize yourself with this material: Windows x86 or x64. What is better to install on a laptop ?. It is also worth reading this material: Comparison of the performance of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. What is better to install ?.
To burn a Windows Vista distribution disc, we need:
- Windows Vista disk image in .iso format. For obvious reasons, I give links to the image,
- The program for recording images to disk. For example Ashampoo Burning Studio (download / download),
- Blank DVD.
Important Note: Using different builds of Windows Vista is strongly discouraged. Often they cause problems with installing the system and drivers.
Let's start burning the disc. Install and run Ashampoo Burning Studio:
On the menu Create / burn disc image select item Burn a CD / DVD / Blue-ray disc from a disc image.
Click on the button Overview and indicate where the image with Windows Vista is located:
Push button Further
Insert a blank DVD disc into the drive:
Push button Burn DVD to start recording and wait a bit:
After recording, the following window should appear:
That's all. We put this disk into the drive of the laptop on which you will install Windows Vista.
How to upgrade Windows Vista to the "seven"
In order to upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 7 for free, we first need to check if the system is ready for this transition. Check if there are enough computer resources, in a word, to check whether the resources available in the computer match the declared ones for the seven system requirements. After making sure that enough power is available to upgrade your computer, we’ll proceed with the upgrade. All programs and all our data will be successfully transferred to the new system.
- To check if your computer is suitable for Windows 7, you can download a special utility that scans the system and displays the result of compatibility. It also warns about functions that will not be available in the new system. This utility is called "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor". You can download it online for free.
- Install the utility and run. For its operation, an Internet connection is required, since the utility collects compatibility information from the network.
- We follow the recommendations of the adviser: if there is not enough memory - it is advisable to add memory; if there is not enough space on the hard disk, you will need to clean the system disk.
Upgrading Windows to Windows 7 is easy
- After making sure that upgrading Vista to Windows 7 - moving is available, let's proceed with the upgrade. We need to prepare a boot disk or flash drive with the Windows 7 operating system. We will not boot from it, we only need it to insert it into the drive or connector, we will start the update from the Vista operating system.
- Open our disk or flash drive with the recorded OS and run the program (Setup) double click and press "Continue».
- The installation of Windows will start.
- After that you need to press the button "Install».
- The installation program will copy the temporary files to the computer and after that the installation will start.
Updating Windows Vista on a computer
In fact, this installation is no different from the usual reinstallation of Windows 7. The only thing, there is a nuance - here you need to select "Do not download latest updates", We can download them after installation.
- We accept the terms of the license agreement and click "Further».
- In the next window, we select the section "Update"(If with a clean installation, select"Complete installation for advanced users"), Then here, it is the first tile"Update».
The update will save our files, all documents that are on the computer and all installed programs. Windows Vista allows you to make such an update to the "seven". The update item will be active only if you switch to a compatible version. If you try to upgrade to an incompatible version, the upgrade section will be inactive and you can only complete the installation.
- Again, the program will check for compatibility, perhaps a warning about any restrictions will appear (for example, some language packs or functions that were available in Vista will also be disabled).
But it doesn’t matter, we will get new features and functions that will be available in the "seven".
- Click "Further"And the subsequent installation steps will not be any different from a complete, clean installation of Windows 7 from a disk or flash drive. After completing all the installation steps in time, a little more than half an hour, and Windows 7 is ready for use.
2. Install boot from DVD in BIOS
To enable boot from a disk in the BIOS, you first need to go into it (who would have thought :)). To do this, at the beginning of the boot of the laptop you need to press a certain key. Usually, when loading, it is indicated at the bottom which button to press to enter the BIOS. Most often these are F2, Del, Esc and others. How to enter the BIOS should be described in the instructions for the laptop.
After entering the BIOS, you need to find where the boot order is configured. Usually these settings are placed on the tab. BOOT. To change the boot order, the F5 / F6 buttons are usually used. Usually, directly on the settings page, it is indicated by which buttons you can change the download list. How to change the boot order should also be indicated in the instructions for the laptop.
Install your CD / DVD drive on first place in the boot list, save the settings and exit the BIOS. Usually, you need to find the item in BIOS Save and Exit Setup or something like that.
After saving the settings, the laptop should reboot.
4. Search and install drivers on a laptop
How to search and install drivers on a laptop is described in this article: Search and install drivers on Windows
Important note: if you have a laptop from Asus, then the search for drivers for your laptop model should start with this section of the site: Asus laptop drivers. If you have a laptop from Acer, eMachines or from Packard bell, then all the drivers you can find here: Acer laptop drivers. For many production laptops Lenovo All drivers and utilities are available in this section: Lenovo Laptop Drivers.
You can find drivers and programs for your laptop or computer using these forum topics:
- General topic for finding drivers:Solving problems with finding and installing drivers,
- Solving problems with drivers for a video card:Solving problems with drivers on the video card,
- Solving problems and finding drivers for a sound card:Solving problems with drivers for a sound card,
- Drivers for network cards and Wi-Fi adapters should be looked for using this topic:Solving problems with drivers for a network card and Wi-Fi,
- For questions on Bluetooth, please contact here:Solving problems with drivers and the operation of the Bluetooth adapter,
- Webcams are discussed here:Solving problems with webcams,
- Various branded utilities for a laptop or computer can be found using these forum topics:Problems with additional software, Description of utilities for Samsung laptops and Description of drivers and utilities for Asus laptops.
This guide can also help: answers to common questions. Here are the answers to the most common questions.
Important note: Do not forget about optimizing Windows. What and how to do is described in this article: Windows Optimization.
If you installed Windows, drivers, and programs, configured them, and you want it to be quickly and easily restored if Windows crashes, you can use this method: Automatically restore Windows on your laptop using Acronis True Image. If you have problems with drivers and / or with some programs in Windows Vista, I recommend that you read this material: Installing and running Windows XP in Windows 7, Windows Vista, or another operating system.
If you have questions about this material, you should first read the answers to frequently asked questions, and then ask a question on the forum.
Important note: after installing all the drivers, do not forget about installing the programs (A selection of necessary free programs) and about optimizing Windows (Windows Optimization Guide).
That's all. Thank you for attention!
All questions that are related to the installation of Windows Vista, please state in this forum thread: Solving problems with installing Windows Vista.
You can express all comments and suggestions on the article through this contact form: send an e-mail to the author. Please note that if something does not work out for you, then you should ask only on the forum. Emails of this kind will be ignored.
Sincerely, the author of the material is Andrey Tonievich. The publication of this material on other resources is permitted solely with reference to the source and the author
Full and detailed description of the installation process Windows Vista or Windows 7 from a flash drive or from a memory card using the utility WinToFlash for newbies.
A guide on how to install Windows XP with the integration of SATA drivers on a laptop or computer for beginners.
Quick Start Guide for Windows XP on a laptop or computer for beginners.
Detailed installation guide Windows XP from a flash drive or from a memory card to any laptop, netbook or computer.
Detailed description of how to install Windows 7 to a laptop or computer.