With the help of yoga, you can acquire the harmony of your body, build muscle, improve the flexibility of the spine. Many people want to do yoga, but not everyone has the opportunity to attend a fitness center. Yoga exercises can be done at home. How to start doing yoga at home from scratch?
The rules of yoga classes at home for beginners
It’s better to start yoga at home after a few workouts with an instructor, and then you can proceed to the exercises yourself. How to do yoga? The following rules will help in this:
- In order not to strain much, beginners should not take up complex asanas. The body should not tremble.
- The breathing is uniform, calm, without pauses. Do not jerk in and out.
- Switch to difficult poses gradually.
- Lower your shoulders down, then the lungs and heart relax. There are some asanas with raised shoulders.
- When asanas are performed, where the elbows are extended, you need to make sure that your hands do not strain, so that you do not feel discomfort.
- Do not strain your knees. Keep the patella relaxed, so they move freely.
- Include asanas for stretching muscles and tendons. This will prolong health.
- To get the desired result, it is important to systematically engage.
- To maintain balance, do not close the eyelids.
- If you experience pain or other discomfort, stop exercising.
Asanas do slowly, without sudden movements.
Useful properties of yoga
People perceive yoga differently. For some, this is oriental gymnastics, for others - Indian philosophy, for others - a kind of fitness. If explaining is accessible, it is a combination of physical exercises with spiritual practices.
The benefits of yoga have been proven based on thousands of years of experience:
- As a result of active breathing, the lungs are well ventilated and the heart trains.
- Performing exercises, concentration is aimed at balancing the body, which increases the stamina of the whole organism.
- The metabolic processes in the body are activated.
- The reproductive system in men and women is improving.
- Muscle elasticity improves, so some asanas are good for pregnant women to avoid tearing.
- The motor function of the spine is restored, osteochondrosis disappears, bone tissue is strengthened.
- The abdominal muscles are actively working, which helps to cleanse the intestines.
- The aging process is slowing down.
How to relieve stress at home? And yogic exercises are great for this.
Where to start practicing at home?
How to do yoga at home, where to start? Home yoga requires strong motivation and self-discipline.
Before you start yoga classes at home, it is better to go through several lessons with a master who will choose the right mode for you, a feasible load. You can get advice on how to correctly perform the exercises. After this, classes for beginners at home will be a logical continuation, with the goal of improving the body and spirit.
In order that yoga at home for beginners does not become another life test, it is important to observe the following principles:
- When choosing a set of exercises via the Internet, take an interest in the teacher’s experience, pay attention to his figure, the quality of the video material provided. If a book is selected for the manual, it should contain photos or pictures with a detailed and consistent description of how to perform asanas.
- You can not perform asanas without first preparing the muscles, tendons, joints (warm-up).
- You need to start with asanas that are easy for you, which do not cause discomfort. Each organism is individual.
- To control your own breathing, which is the basis of yoga (each breath is exhaled consciously) At the first stage, it will be difficult, but it makes it possible to escape from the unpleasant sensations that may arise during the performance of asanas.
Many are interested in the question of how to learn to stand on one’s head. Can I learn this on my own? This exercise is very difficult, so you should try to do it only with an experienced instructor, step by step, so as not to harm your health.
Hatha yoga has both benefits and contraindications. This should be known especially to those who want to do yoga on their own.
So, you can not start classes if:
- there are chronic diseases
- injuries in the spine,
- increased or decreased pressure, dizzy, nausea,
- acute forms of diseases, mental disorders.
Malasana (garland pose)
For beginners, the Garland posture will greatly help with the goal of supporting the body. It can easily be done at home. It is very important to master it and systematically perform it, since it harmoniously affects the body:
- Refreshes and soothes brain activity.
- Normalizes the hormonal background in women, so it can be allowed to perform during critical days.
- Fat deposits in the lower abdomen break down.
- The abdominal organs come in tone.
- Pain of arterial origin on the back and ankles are relieved.
- The spinal axis is strengthened.
- It is allowed to perform during diseases of the upper respiratory tract.
It is forbidden to perform Malasana if there are injuries to the back and knees.
To complete the Garland pose, you must:
- Stand straight, legs spread apart shoulder width apart.
- Squat without taking your heels off the surface. Socks deploy outward.
- Press the elbows to the inside of the knees, lower the tailbone to the bottom, connect and squeeze the palms.
- Stretch the chest.
- Remain in position for about 30 seconds, breathing with the abdomen, even. then disconnect the hands and lower them to the surface.
- It is advisable that Malasana be present in all complexes for beginners.
Pada hastasana (leaning forward)
Stay in the previous position. As you exhale, bend forward from the hip, touching the surface with your palms, do not bend your legs. Stay in the asana for a few seconds with a relaxed back and go to the starting position.
Squat, with the palms resting on the surface, align the lower limbs, resting on the fingers - the pose of the bar. When inhaling, one leg bends at the knee and is placed on the sole in front. Raise your head up. After a short pause, exhale, putting your feet in the starting position. Perform similar movements with the other leg.
Ardha mukha padmasana (half hemisphere)
Sit on the buttocks, aligning your back, align your legs in front of you and connect. Using your hands, pull your right leg toward you and place your foot on your left thigh, as close to your stomach as possible. Take your right knee to the side. Maintain a straight spine. Stay in position 30 sec., Slowly straighten the right leg and repeat from the left leg.
Pashchimottasana (leaning forward)
Made from the previous starting position. To inhale, raise the upper limbs upward, exhaling lower the body with raised hands to the lower limbs. The palms touch the toes, the forehead - the knees. The back is straight. Hold for about 30 seconds. If at the first stages it is not possible to touch the legs, you need to do the exercise as it turns out. Gradually, things will get better. The main thing is systematicity.
Ananda Balasana (happy child pose)
Lie on your back, press your hips to your stomach, bending your legs, hands hold on to the soles, knees apart. Relax in the asana and stay for about 1 min. Straighten the upper and lower limbs, lie down and repeat the asana. This exercise relieves depression at home.
The tenth exercise to include Malasana.
After the exercises of this complex will be obtained easily and without stress, you can move on to more complex asanas. Yoga at home will bring good benefits to the body, if performed systematically.
How to start doing yoga?
You need to start by studying the methods of shatkarmas (there are only six), for beginners it is suitable to cleanse your body with the help of vegetarianism, the development of Yama and Niyama (basic spiritual and moral degrees).
- Refusal from any violence, here, of course, it is worth noting the refusal to eat meat (ahimsa),
- Honesty before oneself and others (satya),
- Refusal from appropriation of another's property (asteya),
- Abstinence from lust (brahmacharya),
- Refusal from concentration on material goods (aparigraha).
- Cleanliness of not only the body, but also thoughts (Shauch),
- Positive thinking, thanks for your position (Santosha),
- Self-discipline (tapas),
- Self-development (svadhyaya),
- Altruism (ishvara-pranidhana).
Yoga as a method of dealing with many negative aspects of each person’s life
Ancient teaching helps us to combat the following factors:
- stressful situations and depression. Stress is the worst enemy of a person, we stop controlling our emotions, anger, lose the ability to assess everyday situations sensibly, and, as a result, the quality and standard of living are reduced. The body, in turn, responds to stress by metabolic disorders, early skin aging, an uncontrolled set of extra pounds. Yoga teaching is a universal and affordable way to relieve stress, feel your stress and learn how to overcome it. In many cases, systematic exercises help to cope with pain (women often have a menstrual cycle), • sluggish state and apathy. Many followers note a surge of strength, energy, vitality. Yoga lessons are a vacation during which a person gains more energy and strength than during an 8-hour sleep. Masters only have 4 hours of sleep to feel great,
- overweight. The figure becomes slim, acquires bends. The body becomes flexible, loses the hated body fat and extra pounds. You just need to be patient, as the results will become noticeable in about 4-5 months.
How to start yoga: practical tips
Despite the fact that yoga brings us only benefits in the physical sense, it is still worthwhile to understand that there are contraindications, namely:
- Mental illness (e.g. schizophrenia)
- A disease of an internal organ in the acute stage,
- Inguinal hernia.
How to learn yoga: choose your teacher
Perhaps the most important stage is to find a yoga master who will help you along the way. How to find him? Perhaps some of your friends are already attending yoga classes for beginners and can recommend their teacher to you, you can study the reviews on the Internet and sign up for lessons with two or three different teachers and thus choose your own.
First of all, the teacher should be to your liking. This is the main criterion, you should want to be near this person, in no case should he cause you dislike, irritation and other negative emotions. Remember: yoga is not a sport or fitness, here a trainer may not be the owner of a beautiful body with relief muscles. In this matter, it is best to trust intuition, as a rule, it never fools and will certainly help you choose a master with whom you have a kinship with souls.
Secondly, a truly competent trainer goes from simple to complex. For beginners, he will first offer simple asanas, and only then, when they are mastered by the students, he will move on to more complex poses. A coach who is interested in his wards will never play in public, demonstrating his abilities and showing complex poses. The focus of his attention is on students and their skills.
Thirdly, a true master of yoga is distinguished by calm, measured, leisurely. This means that he never commands, does not raise his voice, does not rush his students. And if something does not work out - it does not press and does not force.
Fourth, an experienced and knowledgeable instructor is not fixated on the physical aspect. His goal is not only the ability of his wards to perform advanced asanas, but the work on his internal processes and the ability to control his mind, and, as a result, the body.
And the last: a true master yogi knows not only for everyone the obvious benefits of performing asanas, but their contraindications. During a personal conversation, be sure to tell your teacher about all your health problems, perhaps this or that standard asana can harm you. In this case, the teacher will choose an individual alternative for you, and then pranayama in combination with meditation will bring you noticeable benefits, and maybe even save you from problems associated with joints, spine and so on.
How to do yoga for beginners
So, the teacher is selected and, accordingly, the hall, the schedule is drawn up, and here you have a lesson. Let's talk about how to prepare for it.
We buy a mat for classes. There are no special recommendations, except that the mat should fit your height.
Clothing for classes should be tight, but at the same time unrestricted movement.
In no case do not attend training with a full stomach (this also applies to water), it is best to do this either on an empty stomach or much later than the last meal.
Before training, try to learn how to breathe and relax on your own. Subsequently, the teacher will certainly teach you to relax and concentrate at the same time.
It should be noted that it is impossible to learn postures without applying effort, which means that although it is necessary to avoid injuries in every way, a feeling of discomfort is permissible.
And, most importantly, remember that when you sign up for group classes with a trainer, you must strictly follow the schedule. Yoga teaches discipline.
How to do yoga: exercises for beginners
As already mentioned above, for beginners the simplest (basic) exercises will be offered, namely:
- Asana "tree". Stand up straight and straight, inhaling very slowly, raise your hands and pull them up as high as possible. Open the chest, to do this, put your hands behind your head, without bending them. In order to learn to balance, try to master this exercise with a raised leg, bent at the knee, and placing the foot on the thigh. The advantage of this asana, provided that it is correctly performed, is in the benefits for posture and spine,
- Asana is a "child". Take a sitting position, resting your buttocks on your heels. Get down on your hips with your whole body, relax your arms and stretch them out in front of you. The main focus of this pose is to relax the muscles of the neck and back,
- Asana "the dog." Lean forward and place your palms in front of you on the floor. Step back with your heels, raise your pelvis up. Try to distribute the weight evenly between the foot and palms. Lower the head to the level of the elbows. The use of this posture in relieving tension from the muscles of the back, as well as the shoulder girdle, asana also helps to achieve the effect of slender legs,
- Asana "stork." As you exhale, raise your hands up and bend over. It should be bent in the lumbar region. This pose makes the legs flexible and improves the tone of the whole body.
- Asana "bow." Lie on your stomach. Grasp the ankles with your hands, while inhaling try to raise both the lower and upper parts of the body. Here the most important advantage is a flat back, slender arms, strengthening of the press muscles. If you decide to engage with a trainer in group classes, then all the above-mentioned asanas and the intricacies of their implementation will be prompted by a master, but for those who are going to learn yoga on their own, instructions for their execution have been added.
Yoga alone: choose a style
Having decided that yoga is really what you need, you should study literature, practical tips and choose a style that suits you. So, the following styles exist:
- Hatha yoga. Generally speaking, this is the basic style for all beginners. The main directions: maintaining healthy joints, spine, achieving body flexibility, massage of internal organs and stimulation of hormonal glands,
- Ashtanga Yoga. This style is aimed at the ability to concentrate and relax, as well as the mastery of breathing techniques,
- Iyengar Yoga. It differs by an individual approach to each ward, various additional auxiliary means are used here, such as rollers, pillows, etc.
- Kundalini Yoga. This is an integral style, incorporating all the steps of the basic styles of yoga,
- Bikram Yoga. This is a style based on 26 hatha yoga asanas combined with two breathing exercises. It is aimed at the health of joints, the spine and maintaining the whole body in good shape,
- Jivamukti Yoga. This style is entirely devoted to the student’s inner world, for this purpose the method of dancing, singing (of course, mantras), listening to beautiful peaceful music, meditation in combination with the correct breathing technique are used.
Of course, not all the features and advantages of each style are described, so it’s still better to choose a style with a yoga master. In addition, each of these styles has its own difficulty levels, the asanas of which can be difficult to perform without the instructions of the master.
Otherwise, for independent yoga classes, the recommendations are:
- Work on yourself and the systematic nature of classes,
- The right attitude to nutrition (especially immediately before class),
- The principle of gradualness (from simple poses to complex ones),
- Right breathing
- Спокойная обстановка и умиротворяющая музыка,
- Удобная одежда,
- Поддержание комфортного климата в помещении, где и планируется сеанс йоги,
- Позитивный настрой: научитесь получать удовольствие от занятий и медитаций.
If something doesn’t work out for you, do not despair and do not give up. Be patient and continue training. Patience, tranquility, harmony with oneself and the world, a balanced approach to everything - this is what yoga ultimately teaches.
It is very important to be aware that yoga is a way of life and thinking, not just within the walls of the hall and within the framework of one lesson - this is every minute work on your inner and surrounding world. For example, it is a healthy lifestyle, daily proper nutrition, refusal of bad habits (smoking, alcohol and other addictions).
Most often, the question "How to make yoga out of yourself?" Is asked by beginners who decide to comprehend this teaching on their own. Naturally, if you have patience by studying many sources and reviewing a lot of video lessons, then you are guaranteed success. However, it is better and safer to resort to the help of an experienced and competent mentor, then you can achieve good results and get real pleasure from the process. In addition, having achieved significant results, you will come to understand that you can learn yoga all your life, because, as they say, there is no limit to perfection.